The Washington Post's Style Invitational also asked readers to take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter, and supply a new definition.
The winners are:
1. *Bozone* (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign
of breaking down in the near future.
2. *Foreploy* (v): Any misrepresentation about yourself for the purpose of
3. *Cashtration* (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject
financially impotent for an indefinite period.
4. *Giraffiti* (n): Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.
5. *Sarchasm* (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the
person who doesn't get it.
6. *Inoculatte* (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
7. *Hipatitis* (n): Terminal coolness.
8. *Osteopornosis* (n): A degenerate disease. (This one got extra credit.)
9. *Karmageddon* (n): its like, when everybody is sending off all these
really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's like, a
10. *Decafalon* (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.
11. *Glibido* (v): All talk and no action.
12. *Dopeler effect* (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when
they come at you rapidly.
13. *Arachnoleptic fit *(n.): The frantic dance performed just after you've
accidentally walked through a spider web.
14. *Beelzebug* (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito that gets into your
bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.
15. *Caterpallor* (n.): The color you turn after finding half a grub in the
fruit you're eating.
And the pick of the literature:
16. *Ignoranus* (n): A person who's both stupid and an asshole.